My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa

My friend recently introduced me to the glorious superfood that is quinoa. I've been (trying to go) on a health kick lately, eating right and exercising as often as I can. Quinoa is a huge source of protein, fibre, not to mention it's gluten-free and contains lots of vitamins and minerals (check out some info here!) So I decided to start trying to add quinoa to my diet. I found this recipe on pinterest, of course :)
excuse the iPhone-ness of this picture

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa (adapted from epicurious)

  • 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (I used a 19 ounce can...I love me some black beans)
  • 2 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 4 scallions, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Wash quinoa in 3 changes of cold water, draining in a sieve each time. 
Cook quinoa in a medium pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain in sieve, then set sieve in same pot with 1 inch of simmering water (water should not touch the sieve!) Cover quinoa with a folded kitchen towel, then cover sieve with a lid (the lid won't fit tightly, but no worries!) and steam over medium heat until tender, fluffy, and dry...about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat and remove lid. Let stand, still covered with a towerl, for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together lime zest and juice, butter, oil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a large bowl (I used a 8-cup mixing bowl, and it went right to the top... the quinoa expands when it's cooked, like pasta, so you'll get a lot out of one cup!)
When quinoa is finished cooking, add to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed. Then, add remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.
Bon Appetite!

Note: I was unsure whether this recipe was to be served warm or cold...so I tried it both ways. And it's great either warm or cold! So suit yourself! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment